Tuesday, March 31, 2009

4 Sources

I am doing a research project on stem cells and how researchers should have full funding and freedom to do whatever they like. Stem cells are a huge topic in today’s society because politics has gotten its grip on it. There are two sides to this issue, as always, for or against and debates have continued from the 60’s to now. I believe I will have a vast amount of information but the hard part will be finding what I need and combining it into about 6 or more pages. This will be a lot of fun and I am looking forward to learning much about this contested subject.

I have four initial resources that are all books and are legit academic sources. I have, Opposing Viewpoints BioMedical Ethics, which is a wonderful book that explains that you must learn your opponent’s argument before you can fully understand yours. Also I have, The Art and Politics of Science, which has a chapter on Embryos, Cloning, Stem Cells, and the promise of reprogramming. This chapter talks about laws emplaced on stem cell research and just basic information. Another book, Multiplicity Yours : Cloning, Stem Cell Research, and Regenerative Medicine, talks about Cloning, Moral and Ethical aspects, Reproduction and Genomics. My final source a book called, Guidelines for Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research, has much background information on embryonic stem cells, ethics, and current regulations on research. With these sources I believe I will have plenty of information that will provide me with the knowledge to construct a well written argument/research paper.

I am doing this argument/research paper because I want to learn more about the subject and also because I want to try and persuade others to support stem cell use and research. If I use my information correctly and try to show I’ve learned the other side’s argument, I believe I could make many change their stand, or make them see where the other side is coming from. So by doing this paper I hope to learn much about stem cells, promote my ideas and to persuade others to help fund stem cell research.

I am all for everything stem cells, funding, research and its use. I believe stem cells should be fully funded because the possibilities with using stem cells are extraordinary and once thought to be science fiction! Stem cell research should be performed in every area of medicine because the cures found will be absolutely amazing. Cures could be found for paralysis, Alzheimer’s, nerve damage and so many other diseases and injuries. Stem cells should be used regardless of where they come from and should have no regulations, unless of course when the usage becomes outlandish. Doctors and researchers will make new life changing discoveries on a daily basis. This is why I don’t understand why people are so negative towards stem cells, when the possibilities of using them are endless! I will do my best to fully understand both sides of this stem cell debate, therefore I will be able to make a truthful and understanding argument/research paper.

Works Cited
Wagner, Viqi. Opposing Viewpoints BioMedical Ethics. New York: GreenHaven Press/Thomas-Gale, 2008.
Varmus, Harold. The Art and Politics of Science. New York: W.W. Norton & Company, Inc., 2009.
Lim, Dr. Hwa A.. Multiplicity Yours : Cloning, Stem Cell Research, and Regenerative Medicine. Hackensack,NJ: World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd, 2006.
Committee on Guidelines for Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research, Guidelines for Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research . Washington,DC: The National Academic Press, 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment